Bella Kisses Jacob


As Bella sends Jacob into battle and uses Edward for her emotional support, the readers of Eclipse can almost physically feel Bella’s pain in this moment. Bella’s disappointment in herself is felt deeply by readers of the Twilight series. She wants to love well, but she doesn’t really know how to do that. She has examples in her life, like Carlisle and Esme, but she can’t quite access how that kind of love looks for her. Bella is broken at this point. It is her rock bottom in this story. You know what’s amazing? God’s greatest work happens when we are facing the rock bottom in our own stories. When we face the truth of our great sin and seek God in humility, he answers our prayers with a powerful love as described in Ephesians 3:14-19. When we are broken, God is waiting for us.

We can experience multiple rock bottoms in one lifetime. One of mine began in February 2000 when my granddaddy died unexpectedly. His death was incredibly painful because he was like a father to me. At the time of his death, I was living in so much sin. My life seemed good on the outside, but my insides were full of dark secrets. When my granddaddy died, I cried all night long because he was gone and I wanted to change. I just didn’t know how. I had all the right religious answers in my head, but I couldn’t translate those into my heart. I cried out to God in loneliness and desperation. Humbly, I can say that God was listening and began a new work in my heart that continues to this day.

The God of the Bible is a forgiving father who longs to be the shoulder that we cry on. And he strengthens us by putting His Spirit in us to remind us of our eternal destiny and to empower us to live with a supernatural vigor. His love can never fail, and He will never fail you. God’s plan is greater. God’s purpose is greater. God’s love is greater than we can imagine or even fully understand in this life. Paul’s prayer in this passage is a striking reminder that we can spend our entire lives trying to understand God’s love for us. It is a worthy pursuit.