Bella and Jacob's Friendship


In Ephesians 2:1-6, Paul describes how each of us has our own zombie phase before we are changed by our own light, God. The darkness of the world overtakes us, and our lungs are polluted with unbelief. Our actions are filled with disobedience. The motto of this world is “It’s all about me.” This is the truth of our existence outside of God. Have you been there? I certainly have. It wasn’t so long ago that I filled my mind with pride and spoke deceit and destruction. It wasn’t so long ago that I did what I wanted, whenever I wanted and with whomever I wanted. It was all about me. When the world revolves around one person, the world does not include God. He is the only light that can fill up our darkness.

Throughout the Twilight series, Bella describes Jake as her personal sun and light. He seems so bright to her because Bella has experienced such dark places. He rescues her and protects her over and over again. He embodies pure teenage boy with a big dose of supernatural strength. I can already hear the Team Jacob fans cheering for him! Like Bella’s relationship with Edward, Jacob’s relationship with Bella is unbalanced. Bella continually uses Jake for her own comfort without really considering his needs. A good, healthy friendship is hard to find these days. Real friendship takes a great deal of time and hard work. In a busy world, we struggle to build real relationships with other people. When we sacrifice our friendships for other things or people, we lose the opportunity to encourage and build up one another. And the truth is that we need good friends.

Pastor James MacDonald of Harvest Bible Chapel is one of my favorite podcasters. In a lesson about friendship, MacDonald uses the friendship between Jonathan and David in the Bible as a good, healthy example.7 Jonathan was the son of the king and supposed heir to the throne. David was the musician for the king and anointed by God to be king. They should have been against one another, but they were completely devoted to each other in friendship. It was the first "bro-mance" in the Bible. The friendship of Jonathan and David even went beyond the grave. After the tragic death of Jonathan, David continued to honor his friend by taking care of his son, Mephibosheth. With I Samuel 23:16-18 as the backdrop, MacDonald draws out these five phrases of real friendship. Reflect on your own friendships and evaluate which of these phrases deserve recommitment in your life.
  1. I will be there for you in times of hardship.
  2. I will help you depend on God and not me.
  3. I will seek to be a source of emotional stability for you.
  4. I will be self-effacing and unashamed in my loyalty to you.
  5. I will verbalize my commitment to you.
Real friends direct us toward a higher source of power – God. We cannot fully recover from the heartaches in life without good friends and a good God. In Ephesians 2:7-10, we learn that God saves us from our sins, but He also saves us by working in our everyday lives to turn the difficult into the divine. The truth in this passage is that only God can save us. God is our personal sun, not Jacob Black or any other person. He saves us and gives us a place to belong and create in the community of Christ.